The military that seized power in Guinea and captured President Alpha Condé on Monday (6) banned authorities of the overthrown government from leaving the country indefinitely, a day after carrying out a coup d’état, which was criticized by the international community.
Mamady Doumbouya, commander of an elite army group responsible for the coup, ordered public officials to hand over official vehicles to the armed forces.
“There will be no witch hunts,” Doumbouya said at a meeting with former ministers and the country’s prime minister at the seat of parliament.
The land and air borders, which had been closed the day before, were reopened on Monday, according to an army spokesman.
Doumbouya also lifted a curfew at the bauxite mines, a mineral used in the production of aluminum of which Guinea has the largest reserves in the world.
Political instability in the African country made the price of bauxite soar on the international market and reach the highest price in ten years, although there is no information about the interruption in the supply of the ore.
Some stores reopened and traffic returned to the streets of the capital, Conakry, this Monday. Barricades were set up, and police prevented people from approaching the presidential palace. On Sunday (5), shootings were recorded in the region of the headquarters of the Executive during the takeover.
Doumbouya said on state TV on Sunday that the country’s institutions and constitution had been dissolved, and that President Condé had been captured. He claimed that the seizure of power occurred because of “endemic poverty and corruption”.
The scammers said that Condé is in good health and is being treated properly. The president appeared surrounded by military personnel in a video posted on social media on Sunday.
Also on Sunday, the group led by Doumbouya reported that regional rulers had been replaced by the military.
The coup d’état in Guinea was the target of criticism from the international community.
On Sunday, the secretary general of the UN (United Nations), António Guterres, condemned “any seizure of power by the force of the rifle” and called for the “immediate release of President Alpha Condé”.
The US State Department also condemned the events in Guinea, saying they could undermine aid from the US and other international partners.
The movement was also condemned by regional actors. Ghanaian President Nana Akuffo-Addo, who is also the leader of Ecowas (Economic Community of West African States), has threatened to impose sanctions on Guinea.
The African Union also called for Condé’s release and said it must convene a meeting on the matter to discuss “appropriate measures”.
This Monday, Russia echoed the criticism and called for “Condé’s release and the guarantee that he will have immunity.” “We consider it necessary for the situation in Guinea to return to constitutional norms as soon as possible,” says a statement from the Moscow chancellery.
Guinea has been facing a serious political and economic crisis in recent months, aggravated by the Covid-19 pandemic — according to official data sent to the WHO (World Health Organization), the country has registered nearly 30,000 cases and 341 deaths from the disease.
Recently, Condé raised taxes and fuel prices, seeking to increase federal revenue, which sparked a new wave of protests. Violent demonstrations had already hit the country in October of last year, when the president secured his third term after a maneuver to be able to run.