The Walking Dead is an American post-apocalyptic horror television series based on the comic book series of the same name by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, and Charlie Adlard—together constituting the foundation of The Walking Dead brand.
Andrew Lincoln portrayed the principal role of Rick Grimes until his departure in the ninth season. Other long-standing cast members have included Norman Reedus, Steven Yeun, Chandler Riggs, Melissa McBride, Lauren Cohan, Danai Gurira, Josh McDermitt, Christian Serratos, Seth Gilliam and Ross Marquand. The Walking Dead is produced by AMC Studios inside the state of Georgia, with most production taking place in the enormous open expanses at Riverwood Studios near Senoia, Georgia.
The series was first adapted from the comic by Frank Darabont, who also served as the showrunner for the first season.
However, disputes between Darabont and AMC prompted his resignation from the series and led to various lawsuits by Darabont and others. Glen Mazzara, Scott M. Dimple, and Angela Kang served as successive showrunners.
The series is only aired on cable channel AMC in the United States and worldwide via the Fox Networks Group and Disney+. The series aired on October 31, 2010. The eleventh and last season debuted on August 22, 2021, and is set to broadcast till 2022.
AMC has also further evolved the series into related media; a spinoff series, Fear the Walking Dead, started on August 23, 2015, and is presently running its seventh season.
A second spinoff, a two-season limited series, The Walking Dead: World Beyond, began on October 4, 2020. AMC confirmed plans for three films to continue Rick’s tale following Lincoln’s departure.
Reedus and McBride spin-offs were planned in 2020, as well as an anthology series that will concentrate on individual character backstories for the two protagonists.
As of the third season, The Walking Dead has had the most viewers aged 18 to 49 out of any cable or broadcast show, however that number has dwindled as the seasons have progressed.
Aside from that, the series has gotten generally favorable reviews. In addition to the Writers Guild of America Award for New Series, it has been nominated for a number of other honors, including the Golden Globe Award for Best Dramatic Television Series.
Finally, AMC’s The Walking Dead will wrap out its eleventh season on August 22 of this year.
- Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes
- Jon Bernthal as Shane Walsh
- Sarah Wayne Callies as Lori Grimes
- Laurie Holden as Andre
- Jeffrey DeMunn as Dale Horvath
- Steven Yeun as Glenn Rhee
- Chandler Riggs as Carl Grimes
- Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon
- Melissa McBride as Carol Peletier
- Lauren Cohan as Maggie Greene
- Danai Gurira as Michonne
- Scott Wilson as Hershel Greene
- Michael Rooker as Merle Dixon
- David Morrissey as Philip Blake / The Governor
- Emily Kinney as Beth Greene
- Chad L. Coleman as Tyreese Williams
- Sonequa Martin-Green as Sasha Williams
- Lawrence Gilliard Jr. as Bob Stookey
- Michael Cudlitz as Abraham Ford
- Josh McDermitt as Eugene Porte
- Christian Serratos as Rosita Espinosa
- Alanna Masterson as Tara Chambler
- Andrew J. West as Gareth
- Seth Gilliam as Gabriel Stokes
- Lennie James as Morgan Jones
- Alexandra Breckenridge as Jessie Anderson
- Ross Marquand as Aaron
- Austin Nichols as Spencer Monroe
- Tovah Feldshuh as Deanna Monroe
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Negan
- Austin Amelio as Dwight
- Tom Payne as Paul “Jesus” Rovia
- Xander Berkeley as Gregory
- Khary Payton as Ezekiel
- Steven Ogg as Simon
- Katelyn Bacon as Enid
- Pollyanna McIntosh as Jadis / Anne
- Callan McAuliffe as Alden
- Avi Nash as Siddiq
- Samantha Morton as Alpha
- Ryan Hurst as Beta
- Eleanor Matsuura as Yumiko
- Cooper Andrews as Jerry
- Nadia Hilker as Magna
- Cailey Fleming as Judith Grimes
- Cassady McClincy as Lydia
- Lauren Ridloff as Connie
- Paola Lázaro as Juanita “Princess” Sanchez
- Michael James Shaw as Mercer
- Lynn Collins as Leah Shaw
- Josh Hamilton as Lance Hornsby
- Margot Bingham as Stephanie Vega
- Laila Robins as Pamela Milton
As the survivors of a zombie apocalypse struggle to stay alive in the face of near-constant attacks by zombies known as “walkers,” the show features a large ensemble cast (among other nicknames).