Yellowstone, the hit Western drama on Paramount Network, has been on a long hiatus since January 2023. Fans are eagerly waiting for the second half of the final season, which will wrap up the story of the Dutton family and their ranch. However, there is still no official announcement on when Yellowstone Season 5 Part 2 will premiere. Here is what we currently know about the future episodes’ release date, actors, and storyline.
Why is Yellowstone Ending With Season 5?
Yellowstone was created by Taylor Sheridan, who also wrote and directed most of the episodes. The show stars Kevin Costner as John Dutton, the patriarch of a powerful ranching family in Montana.
The show follows the Duttons as they face various threats from land developers, politicians, rival ranchers, and Native Americans. The show has been a huge success for Paramount Network, becoming the most-watched cable drama in 2021 and 2022.
However, in May 2023, Paramount announced that Yellowstone would end with Season 5. The reason behind this decision was reportedly due to a conflict between Costner and Sheridan over the future of the show.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Costner wanted to leave the show after Season 5 to focus on his own passion project: a series of Western films. Sheridan, on the other hand, wanted to continue the show for at least two more seasons.
The two could not reach an agreement, and Costner refused to commit to more than one week of filming for Season 5 Part 2. This led to Sheridan deciding to end the show with Season 5 and move on to other projects in the Yellowstone universe.
When Will Yellowstone Season 5 Part 2 Premiere?
The first half of Season 5 aired from November 2022 to January 2023. The second half was supposed to begin filming in March 2023, but it was delayed due to the dispute between Costner and Sheridan.
It is unclear if they ever resolved their issues, but the production was further postponed by the Writers Guild of America (WGA) and Screen Actors Guild (SAG-AFTRA) strikes that started in September 2023.
As of now, there is no official release date for Yellowstone Season 5 Part 2. However, some sources have suggested that it could premiere in early or mid-2024. This would depend on how soon the strikes are resolved and how much filming is left to be done. Fans can only hope that the wait will be worth it and that the show will deliver a satisfying conclusion.
HeavensArmy4America shared a post on Twitter:
In @paramountplus #YellowstoneTV Season 5, Governor John Dutton refers to the current POTUS as an “idiot.” Fans eagerly await Yellowstone Season 5 Part 2. Although initially rumored to return summer 2023, it looks more like November 2023, since filming is scheduled for Aug 2023. pic.twitter.com/IUlUSeGhJf
— HeavensArmy4America (@HeavensArmy4USA) July 13, 2023
Who Will Be in the Cast of Yellowstone Season 5 Part 2?
The cast of Yellowstone Season 5 Part 2 is expected to include most of the main actors from the previous seasons. However, there are some uncertainties regarding Costner’s involvement. It is possible that he will only appear in a few scenes or that his character will be killed off or written out in some way. It is also possible that he will change his mind and agree to film more scenes for the final episodes.
The other actors who are likely to return are Kelly Reilly as Beth Dutton, Luke Grimes as Kayce Dutton, Wes Bentley as Jamie Dutton, Cole Hauser as Rip Wheeler, Kelsey Asbille as Monica Dutton, Brecken Merrill as Tate Dutton, Gil Birmingham as Thomas Rainwater, Ian Bohen as Ryan Bingham, Jefferson White as Jimmy Hurdstrom, Forrie J. Smith as Lloyd Pierce, Denim Richards as Colby Dunn, Hassie Harrison as Laramie Morris, Finn Little as Carter Morris, Piper Perabo as Summer Higgins, Kathryn Kelly as Emily Dutton, Jacki Weaver as Caroline Warner, Will Patton as Garrett Randall, and Josh Holloway as Roarke Morris.
There are also some new additions to the cast for Season 5 Part 2. These include Billy Bob Thornton as Sheriff Wade Morrow, a former friend of John Dutton who becomes his enemy; Tim McGraw and Faith Hill as James and Margaret Dutton, John’s parents who appear in flashbacks; Sam Elliott as Shea Brennan, a Texas rancher who helps John fight against his enemies; and Reba McEntire as June Carter Cash, a country music legend who performs at a benefit concert for the Duttons.
Check out some other new content we’ve published:
- Money Heist Berlin Spin-off Series Release Date: Why Was He Killed in Part 2 and Why Did He Return?
- Futurama Season 8 Release Date: Get Ready For A Season That Will Keep You Up All Night!
What Will Happen in Yellowstone Season 5 Part 2?
The plot of Yellowstone Season 5 Part 2 is still a mystery, but there are some clues from the previous episodes and the teaser trailer that was released in August 2023. The trailer shows John Dutton facing impeachment as the governor of Montana, Beth Dutton confronting her brother Jamie over his betrayal, Kayce Dutton leading a rescue mission to save his son Tate from kidnappers, Rip Wheeler proposing to Beth, and a mysterious voice saying “This is the end of the line for you, John Dutton” before a gunshot is heard.
Some of the possible plot points for Season 5 Part 2 are:
- The resolution of the cliffhanger from Season 5 Part 1, which left John Dutton’s fate uncertain after he was shot by an unknown assailant.
- The revelation of who is behind the attacks on the Duttons and their allies, and whether it is related to Roarke Morris, Market Equities, or someone else.
- The outcome of the impeachment trial against John Dutton, and whether he will be able to keep his position as the governor and his control over the ranch.
- The relationship between Beth and Rip, and whether they will get married or face more obstacles.
- The conflict between Beth and Jamie, and whether they will reconcile or become enemies.
- The fate of the Yellowstone ranch, and whether it will be sold, seized, or preserved.
- The impact of the chronic wasting disease that is affecting the wildlife and the cattle in Montana, and whether it will be contained or spread further.
- The introduction of new characters and their roles in the story, such as Sheriff Wade Morrow, James and Margaret Dutton, Shea Brennan, and June Carter Cash.
- The flashbacks to the past of John Dutton and his family, and how they shaped his present.
- The closure of the main characters’ arcs, and whether they will find happiness, peace, or tragedy.
Yellowstone Season 5 Part 2 will be the final chapter of a saga that has captivated millions of viewers. It will be a bittersweet farewell to a show that has redefined the Western genre and created memorable characters. Fans can only hope that Yellowstone Season 5 Part 2 will deliver a satisfying ending that will honour the legacy of the show.